Post Funeral Checklist

Following the loss of a loved one you may find yourself overwhelmed with all the practical work that must be completed. This checklist is designed to assist you as you begin this work.  Not all the items listed below will apply to you.  Take each item, one at a time and eventually you will complete all the busy work that follows the loss of a loved one.  If you have questions, please contact us at either of our locations:  Dixie location (502) 447-2600, Jeffersontown location (502) 266-9655. We are glad to assist you!

Death Certificates

You will need one copy for each insurance company, stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.  You may also need a copy for the transfer of a vehicle, utility bills, cable bill, etc. The cost is $6.00 per copy.  Keep extra copies of the Death Certificate to send with your income tax return if you file. Your funeral provider can assist you in ordering these.

Social Security

If your loved one was receiving Social Security benefits the funeral provider will notify the Social Security Administration Office of your loved one’s death.   Social Security benefits include a one-time benefit of $255 to the surviving spouse.  If you are a surviving spouse, ask about your eligibility for increased benefits.  Frequently, these matters can be handled by phone.

Dependent children may also be eligible for certain Social Security benefits.

The Social Security Office (800) 772-1213 or contact online at

Downtown Locations
601 W Broadway, Room 101

Louisville East
10503 Timberwood Circle, Room 50

VETERAN'S Administration

If your loved one was a veteran, you may be able to get assistance with the funeral services, burial plot, or other benefits.  Your funeral provider can help you complete the Veteran’s Administration claim forms.  You will need a copy of your loved one’s discharge papers and the specially designated certified copy of the Death Certificate marked for Veterans Administration Use Only. Veteran’s Administration is located at 545 South Third Street.  The phone number is: 1-800-827-1000.

Railroad Retirement

If your loved one received Railroad Retirement contact the Railroad Retirement Board.  It is located at 629 South Fourth Street, Suite 301. The phone number is 582-5208. You may need a certified copy of the Death Certificate for this.

Company or Union

Contact all sources of employment or retirement funds that your loved one may have participated in for any benefits that are due.  You may need a certified copy of the Death Certificate for this.

Life Insurance

Contact all life insurance companies with whom your loved one had policies.  You will need to request a claim form.  In order to complete the claim form, you will need to provide the policy number and a certified copy of the death certificate.  If requested, we will help you with the filing of your claim. 

If your loved one was the beneficiary of an insurance policy, the owner should contact his or her insurance company and change the beneficiary.  You may also want to review your own insurance needs.

If your loved one was working, contact the employer for information on pension plans, credit unions and union death benefits.  You will need a certified copy of the death certificate for each claim.

Health Insurance

Contact your health insurance company or employer regarding terminating coverage for your loved one while continuing coverage for others covered through the policy

Financial Matters

Seek the advice of an accountant or tax advisor about filing the deceased’s tax return for the year of the death. Keep monthly bank statements on all individual and joint accounts that show the account balance on the day of death, since you will need this information for the estate tax return.

Arrange to change any joint bank accounts into your name.  If the deceased’s estate is in “trust,” check with the Trust Department or Customer Service at the bank.

Arrange to change stocks and bonds into your name.  Your bank or stockbroker will have the forms.

Return credit cards of the deceased with a certified copy of the death certificate, or notify the credit card company if you, as the survivor, want to retain use of the card.

Aftercare Services

If you or a family member would like to talk with Owen Funeral Home’s grief counselor, office visits are available at your convenience.  You can make an appointment by calling 502- 447-7759 or emailing [email protected]  The Bereavement Services Specialist will contact you within six weeks of your loved one’s death to offer information on Owen Aftercare Services.

Miscellaneous Information

It is wise if you have a large estate to contact an estate attorney.  If you use an attorney you will have to pay for their services, however, the help you receive may be invaluable.

Documents Needed to Complete the Checklist

  • Death Certificates 
  • Social Security Card
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Birth Certificate for each child, if applicable
  • Insurance Policies
  • Deed and Titles to Property
  • Stock Certificates
  • Bank Books
  • Honorable Discharge Papers for a Veteran and/or V.A. Claim Number
  • Recent Income Tax Forms and W-2 Forms